The Dahlonega Mint was a short-lived (1838 to 1861) branch facility of the U.S. Mint located in Georgia. Its service was eventually cut short by the Civil War. At the time of its opening, there was a mini gold rush occurring in the mountains of Dahlonega, which is actually the word for “yellow money” in the Cherokee language.
Because of low mintage totals and relatively low survival rates, as well as the novelty of being struck by a mint that no longer operates, issues from Dahlonega and its (similarly short-lived) Southern counterparts in Charlotte and New Orleans are prized items on the numismatic market. The Dahlonega Mint only struck gold coins (as was the case for the Charlotte Mint), which are distinguished by a “D” mintmark on the reverse. (This was before the Denver Mint existed.)
Incredibly, one collector who had a complete collection of these rare coins—meaning one example of each denomination from each year—has actually donated his collection to the University of Georgia!